Partnership Gwinnett seeks to encourage student business owners to address social, consumer and business-oriented challenges with innovative problem solving that yields new business models and organic business growth.The inclusion of student businesses from Gwinnett County further advances our community’s entrepreneurial ecosystem by supporting and promoting emerging businesses that hold the most promise for growth and scale.
- Student created, owned and managed business only. Projects, teacher-directed ideas or school-based enterprises are NOT eligible.
- High school and college student owners or student ownership teams must be currently enrolled in one of the following:
- Gwinnett County Public Schools
- Buford City Schools
- Private High School located in Gwinnett County
- Gwinnett Technical College
- Georgia Gwinnett College
- University of Georgia-Gwinnett Campus
- Georgia Campus – Philadelphia College of Medicine
- Any charter, private, and home-school students in Gwinnett County.
- Business must be able to show proof of sales or sales commitments in the form of invoices, purchase orders or payment receipts.
- Business must be wholly student-owned. Parents or family members may not have shares or a Return-on-Investment interest.
- Semi-finalist selection criteria is a video pitch. Video pitches must be no longer than 3 minutes in duration. Pitches are to be published to YouTube as “unlisted” and the unlisted URL submitted for consideration.
- Finalist selection criteria will include a business plan submission (Finalists will be notified of their status and a business plan will be requested). Business plans are strictly limited to a maximum of 30 pages, not including cover page. Submissions must maintain a 1-inch (2.54 cm) margin and use 12 point font. Use of appropriate section headings and pictures, diagrams and charts are highly recommended.
Video Pitch Assessment
Video pitch submissions for consideration of selecting 10 semi-finalists will be assessed by the following 3 criteria:
- The business and the benefits of the product or service is clear and concise and addresses a market opportunity.
- The product or service pricing is clearly differentiated from other companies as evidenced by knowledge of industry and existing products or services in marketplace.
- The owner’s presentation of the business is creative and believable.
Business Plan Assessment
Business plans will be requested of the 10 semi-finalists for consideration as one of five finalists to be selected. Business plans will be assessed by the following 8 criteria:
- The business plan begins with an introduction that shows the logic behind the business started, as well as a strong organizational structure needed to run the business.
- The business plan is supported by research of customers and competition.
- The business plan identifies logical target market(s) that show a strong understanding of the need for focus in their business plan.
- The product/service, price and distribution/delivery sections of the plan strongly support the target market(s).
- The sales and marketing plan, timeline and tracking protocols are indicative of an appreciation for both strategic and tactical efforts required.
- The plan addresses the ownership, operations, customer service, management and human resource elements of the business.
- The financial plan is realistic and demonstrates that the owner has a thorough understanding of the cost to run the business, specifically the costs of goods sold, a break-even analysis and financial statements.
- The business plan contains a strong logical argument why this business is sustainable, if not scalable.
- Online submission deadline: 11:59 pm, Friday, April 12, 2019
- Top 10 High School and Top 10 College semi-finalists notified: Friday, April 19, 2019
- Semi-finalists business plan submission deadline: 11:59 pm, Friday, April 26, 2019
- Notification of top 5 High School and top 5 College finalists: Monday, May 6, 2019
- High School and College Finalists Pitch Event and Award Judging: Wednesday, May 15, 2019
The top 3 winners in each division will receive a cash prize in the amount noted below. In addition to the financial award, the winners will also have a reserved table at Partnership Gwinnett’s Entrepreneur DEMO Day (in conjunction the traditional Amazing Entrepreneur contest) on Thursday, June 27, 2019 at the Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce, local and regional media publicity. Additional in-kind services and technical support to winner provided by sponsors will be announced as confirmed.
1st Place: $500
2nd Place: $300
3rd Place: $200
2nd Place: $600
3rd Place: $400